At Cawood Scientific, we are the UK’s largest independent provider of analytical testing and sampling services for the land-based industries, working within 5 main business units; Agrimetrics, Science, Sampling & Monitoring, Food and Environmental. Our mission is to contribute to a safer and healthier planet by providing our customers with the tools and information to make informed decisions on things such as; sustainability, crop yield, livestock and renewable energy.
We’re recruiting a Head of Sales for our Environmental business unit to join our team. This is a new position due to our business expanding and offers an exciting opportunity for someone to be part of a great team and grow with the organisation.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the commercial performance of this business unit which has annual sales in excess of £12m spread across parts of our NRM, Marchwood and Enitial divisions.
Our environmental analytical services include services for Workplace Air Quality Monitoring, Renewable Energy, Environmental Soil & Water, Emission Monitoring. Our Millbrook, Southampton site is a state-of-the-art Dioxin testing laboratory, and our Manchester laboratory is the UK’s leading specialist air quality testing facility.
In the role you will:
• Own and deliver the business units revenue budget
• Manage relationships with key accounts.
• Identify, approach and secure new key accounts.
• Work with the Business Development, Account Management and Customer Services team to maximise customer service, sample numbers and market share.
• Attend industry meetings and develop projects with industry stakeholders and technical groups.
• Assess market direction of travel and assess future analytical requirements.
• Identify new sectors or businesses that may need our services.
• Identify and work with colleagues to approach acquisition targets.
• Work with our Marketing team to develop a Marketing plan for your business unit.
• Work with other Group commercial and operational colleagues to identify cross selling opportunities.
• Developing strategy, tactics, sales plans and profit targets
• Developing relationships with clients
To be successful you will need to have senior level commercial experience providing analytical services into the environmental sector. Excellent communication and relationship building skills and a clear ability to manage the complete technical requirements of the business are critical to this role. Most importantly you must also share our passion for providing excellent customer service and quality data to our customers.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to explain complex concepts concisely.
• Good IT skills; Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Teams.
• Proven sales executive experience, meeting or exceeding targets
• Previous experience as a senior sales/commercial manager or director.
• Ability to communicate, present and influence at all levels of the organizations.
• Proven ability to drive the sales process from plan to close.
• Proven ability to position proposals against competitors.
• Demonstrable experience as head of sales, developing client-focused, differentiated and
• Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
At Cawood we recognise our employees’ contribution and in return we are proud to offer an extensive reward and benefit package. This includes:
• 25 Days Holiday plus long service leave
• Flexible working hours
• Secure off-Road parking and remote working
• Private health insurance